Jun 7, 2005

It's only a matter of time.

I ventured outside at the crack of dawn on Sunday and stayed out until a little after sunset. I am glad that I did... very glad. The experience reminded me just how powerful early morning euphoria can be, especially in a place like this. The verdant grass gleaned with a thick layer of dew in the dim light, and the air felt crisp and pure. I heard little else but the chirping of birds and the breeze rustling through the palms and evergreens; no cows were mooing, nor dogs barking. I passed by a drooping shrub on the boundary fence near the driveway, and it was flowering, attracting hundreds of early-rising honeybees that collectively produced a deep, audible drone from a few metres away. I watched for a few minutes, fascinated. The insects carried about their business as nature intended, feverishly or perhaps with a slight sense of leisure. Who am I to tell? It was but an ordinary, everyday event in nature, only remarkable because it was witnessed by a soul with the capacity to be captivated by the intricate balance of life surrounding him.

Far out at sea, bands of dark rainclouds could be seen drifting parallel to the shore, a torrent of rain pouring down beneath each of them. The sky above was crowded with tall, swiftly moving clouds, threatening rain much closer to home. I stood outside, simply marveling at the magnificent atmosphere of the morning, knowing full well the sun would eventually rise higher and higher, likely burning away the clouds and rudely and arrogantly dominating. My cat joined me near the compost pile in the most jungle-like corner of the yard, rolling over on his back beneath my feet as if he wanted some celestial tummy rub. I gave in to his adorability and appeased him until it began to rain on us rather heavily, sending him rolling onto his feet and scampering under a tree. These experiences can be even more delightful when one has a companion to share them with.

I watched the sunrise for awhile while sipping on some green tea, only stepping back inside when it finally became too bright to comfortably gaze at. I then found myself playing with the new luggage pieces we had purchased on Saturday. That's one surefire way to get myself riled up for a trip: play with a brand new duffel bag or suitcase that will be taken with us. Reading guide books about exotic places we plan on visiting works wonders, as well. Yes, I am fairly excited about leaving in three days, but I also have quite a bit to accomplish between now and then. The best I can do is take it in stride and deal with things one by one.

(Once again, I nearly stepped on the cat, as his fur colour happens to blend in perfectly with that of the carpet. In the case of being underfoot, such camouflage isn't exactly helping him.)

On Thursday, our jet plane departs at 8:50 pm. We shall want to arrive there at least an hour early, meaning we will have to leave our house by about 7. That would be the earliest stages of twilight... ah, it will so euphoric, and likely raining. I always reveled in the anticipation of going on a big trip full of adventure and excitement, and actually enjoy the atmosphere of airports in such a context. Even all the little security precautions they force me through don't bother me, nor do the crowds. I just want to travel, to see the vast continent and go places I have never been before and satisfy my dominating wanderlust. I want to kiss this rock goodbye for awhile and soar through the air for awhile, guaranteed a month-long escape from the ordinary.

Our first stop will be Seattle. There is a coin show my father is eager to attend, and I will probably spend most of Saturday traipsing about downtown (Friday will mostly be spent shopping and acclimating to the mainland... and resting up). We will be staying in the Marriott hotel for two days before heading north into Canada. I have wanted to visit the country for the longest time... and Vancouver, I am told, is a gorgeous city. Another night will be spent there, and we may move on to Victoria Island, and do a bungee jump! We plan to spend a few days up in Banff and Jasper National Parks, a long drive inland and northeastward from the coast. The idea of spending a few days and nights around the Canadian rockies, primarily camping, thrills me. From there, we will likely make our way back to Washington, and head down the coast through Portland, San Franscisco, and L.A., eventually reaching San Diego. I would like to get a good feel for northern California as a potential place to reside, someday, and a close friend of mine resides in San Diego. Anything can happen on these trips, though, and our plans are subject to change entirely. I may find time to post in my journal on occasion throughout the journey, as most of the hotels have high-speed Internet access, but I may very well continuously be too caught up in the goings-on around me to even touch the Internet. Besides, I'm not going traveling to sit in an air-conditioned room for several hours and post journal entries of mondo proportions like this one. I am still likely to find time between activities or activities and rest, though. The thougt of experiencing some actual city nightlife appeals to me, though so does the idea of reading a great book with the towering peaks of the Rockies in view while being watched by curious wildlife.

I wish time would speed up. Then again, the day will be here before I know it.

I'm also watching an infomercial called "Billy's Boot Camp." I don't believe I have ever been so amused or hypnotised by 'Paid Programming' before. It's just the way they move... it either makes me want to succumb to another one of my giggling fits or go into a narcotic trance.

No comments: