May 20, 2005

With_Teeth

Nine Inch Nails' new album has been out in stores for several weeks now, and I compulsively snatched it when I saw it at Costco. It's a reflex of mine to grab anything NIN-related... it's a habit I just can't shake.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Dave Grohl (former Nirvana drummer, lead vocalist for the Foo Fighters) does the drumming for several tracks on this album. I adore the drum intro on "The Collector" in particular, and the drumming in several other songs. "Every Day is Exactly the Same" is my favourite track on the album by far, however, disregarding some of the lyrics. I love the melody. Unfortunately, it's probably the only track on the album that I am really fond of.

With_Teeth is certainly not a progressive album in any sense of the term. It's not a step beyond the inveritable masterpiece that was The Fragile, but rather a big step backwards. It seems to be more of a follow-up to The Downward Spiral than The Fragile. Fifteen years after Pretty Hate Machine, Trent apparently hasn't changed. He is still a whining little angst machine writing overly self-absorbed lyrics. He should have stopped with Things Falling Apart if this is the best he can come up with, honestly.

For the love of Rayg, Trent, get over yourself. No one really cares anymore. A decade ago, you were a very hip Gothic icon whose anger and animosity seemed incredibly genuine and warranted; now you just sound like an overdramatic has-been. Perhaps you should take a hint from the almighty Chris Vrenna and just continue to compose splendid, twisted music whilst keeping your mouth shut. I am really getting sick of hearing your nasally voice complaining about how dismal everything is. If "none of this really matters anymore" then why bother writing a song about it? Quit swearing and complaining so much and go find something that makes you happy. Listen to some upbeat trance or something, and take a chill pill. You know, for the longest time, I dreamt of your next album being ... well, something substantial, as in a significant step beyond the remarkable world of the The Fragile . . . not just yet another predictable and unconvincing pretense of anger and misery. You took a huge step backwards, and I, along with many other long-time fans, are very disappointed. **Shakes his paw-fist at you** I would bite you, but I know you'd enjoy it too much. Suck it up, Mr. Animosity, and take your Ritalin.

Of course, he'll always have suckers like me supporting his miserable life by purchasing his records out of habit, so I suppose there isn't much for him to worry about as he meddles in his overtly manufactured rage and estrangement. I still respect Trent greatly for all the work he has done in the past and the impact he has had on my life as a developing adolescent, but I would have rather seen him retire before producing this record. It's a disappointment. I shall attempt to salvage as much as I can from this album, but I think it's safe to say that I have outgrown Trent. After all these years, one would think he would have made some personal progress.

"Uninspired" is a most appropriate term to apply to this album. If you listen to one song off this album, though, make it "Every Day is Exactly the Same."

**Slips away to listen to The Fragile again, to remind him of all that's hauntingly beautiful**

No comments: