Aug 28, 2005

Ooh, Katrina, I love your way.

In case no one has checked the news recently, as of the time of this post, this awesome meteorological phenomenon (no, really, it's awesome, because it inspires awe) known as Katrina has achieved category 5 hurricane status. Currently in the Gulf Coast, it is approaching land with wind speeds of up to 175 miles per hour. The storm is threatening the city of New Orleans, expected to make landfall by Monday morning, and officials have thus ordered the evacuation of nearly all of the city's citizens. An emergency declaration has been signed for the states of Mississippi and Louisiana. Some are already predicting that Katrina may steal the record away from the imfamous Andrew as being the costliest storm to ever strike the United States. Much of New Orleans also happens to be located below sea level, so needless to say flooding could be a severe issue.

Besides the fact that this is an obvious newsworthy event conducive to discussion, it gives me the opportunity to express my opinion on hurricanes in general. I view them as magnificent works of nature, so elegantly refined, confidently cohesive, and even strangely handsome. When a hurricane develops its eye, it looks exceptionally frightening and gorgeous. I consider the conception of a hurricane, and its relatively rapid development from a mere tropical "depression" to a full-fledged beast capable of ravaging economies and taking human lives, to be something magical indeed. They are remarkably beautiful, impressive, and intimidating in their raw strength and overwhelming power. I have stood out in 45 mph wind gusts before and felt as if I was going to be blown over... when I imagine what wind speed nearly four times that must be like, I become steadfast with awe. It becomes difficult not to regard them as living, thinking entities on a mission of mass destruction, and I usually find myself cheering them on like my favourite sports team. Now, some may consider doing such a thing to be morally culpable; instead, I should be praying for the well-being of all the storm's potential victims, but that is something I could never do. I don't believe in praying, and I certainly don't believe in hoping that such a spectacular creation should miss land entirely. I would consider it such a depressingly monumental waste if no damage was done. As soon as I hear word that Katrina has made landfall, I will excitedly shout out "GOAAAAAL!"

Now, unfortunately, I have some respect for the city of New Orleans, if only for its culture. I would much rather a storm of such magnitude hit tourist-infested areas of Florida, perhaps demolishing a few high-class resorts, making ruins of rental car lots, and sinking some five hundred yachts. Of course, one can't be too choosy when it comes to situations like this. I am just thankful for hurricanes in general; something that can make for exciting news, as well as entertain and intrigue and spellbind. If such a powerful storm were to hit the island upon which I live later on in the season, pulling the roof right off my home and sending a telephone pole through my television set (it's entirely possible), I would not eat my words. If anything, I would have even greater respect and admiration for them.

I suppose that the ultimate reason I appreciate hurricanes so much is that they simply provide further evidence that the unpredictable, unstoppable , and uncontrollable forces of nature are what truly rule the earth ...not humans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.